You’re building a new home or renovating a current residence in Pittsburgh, and you need to decide which kind of siding to install. How do you choose? There are a variety of exterior siding materials to select from, each with distinct advantages and disadvantages. Knowing your options will help you make the best decision for your Allison Park residence – and especially your pocketbook. Here’s some information about the most popular siding materials to get you started.
- Wood siding. Traditional wood siding comes in many designs and shades to create a wonderful natural look, but requires regular painting or staining every few years to ward off deterioration and keep it looking its best. It can also be quite expensive to install, which can total many thousands of dollars for an average size home. Cost: Up to $10 per square foot
- Brick siding. Brick doesn’t need to be painted or stained, it’s fireproof and it lasts indefinitely. It’s also one of the priciest siding choices because installation is time-consuming and specialized. Cost: Around $20 per square foot
- Aluminum siding. Aluminum siding can be manufactured to resemble wood, and it requires minimal maintenance. However, aluminum can dent and scratch, and the finish can become chalky over time. Cost: $3-6 per square foot
- Fiber cement siding. This innovative addition to the siding market continues to gain in popularity because of its excellent durability and an appearance that can mimic wood and even stone. However, fiber cement must be painted every few years and costs considerably more than vinyl. Cost: Around $7 per square foot
- Vinyl siding. This perennial favorite continues to lead the market because of its affordability, durability and wide color selection. New technology has given vinyl siding a more authentic, wood-like appearance. In comparison to wood, vinyl siding costs roughly half as much per square foot. Cost: $3-5 per square foot
Let Us Help You Make the Right Choice
For further guidance in selecting the best siding for your Pittsburgh home, call Knox’s Construction today at (877) 670-5669. We feature quality products from CertainTeed and Mastic, any of which you can be proud to install on your home.